E-mail Us:
Call Us:
Financial Resources for Teachers

Listed below are programs and grants that are specifically designed to help individuals become teachers. Click on the program for additional information.

– Teach for Texas – Texas offers conditional grants to help some future teachers with expenses if those individuals agree to teach in Texas public schools for a specified period of time.

– Certified Educational Aide Exemption Program – Texas offers tuition exemptions for some educational aides seeking to become certified teachers.

– Teach for America – This program offers cash awards that can be applied to past student loans or future educational costs for recent college graduates who commit to teaching in urban and rural public schools for two years.

– Troops to Teachers – This program offers guidance and support for military veterans who wish to make the transition from active duty into the teaching profession.

– Teacher Loan Forgiveness – The Taxpayer-Teacher Protection Act, signed into law last year, authorizes up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness for eligible, highly qualified math, science and special education teachers. To be eligible, teachers (with no outstanding loan balances before Oct.1, 1998, and who have borrowed before Oct. 1, 2005) must be highly qualified, as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act; must have taught full-time, for five consecutive years, in a Title I school; and must have taught secondary math or science or elementary or secondary special education to students with disabilities.

– Grow-your-own programs – High school students interested in teaching should contact their school district. Some Texas school districts offer “grow-your-own” programs that provide financial aid to students who agree to return to their school district as teachers after graduation from college.

– Other financial aid – The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board administers a variety of grants for attending college. You may also qualify for other financial aid, student loans, or scholarships. Contact the teacher training program you wish to attend for additional information.G.I. Bill Benefits- for test fees – The Texas Workforce Commission has approved SBEC under the provisions of Section 3689, Title 38, United States Code to allow veterans and other eligible persons to receive reimbursement for the cost of certification tests.

– This approval has been made effective, retroactively, as of March 1, 2001. The veteran or other eligible person must submit two forms to the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, in Muskogee, OK. The two forms are: Application for Licensing and Certification Testing Fee Reimbursement (LACAS 1) and either the VA Form 22-1990- Application for VA Education Benefits (for Veterans) or VA Form 22-5490- Application for Survivor’s and Dependents Educational Assistance.

– For additional information or to obtain these forms, contact the Texas Workforce Commission Veterans Education office at (512) 463-3168 or at www.gibill.va.gov.

– G.I. Bill Benefits- for preparation program costs/fees – Veterans Education Benefits (GI Bill) can be used for both university and alternative teacher certification programs.

– The program must request and receive approval from the Texas Workforce Commission Veterans Affairs Office in order for veterans to receive benefits while participating in a certification program. Once approved, the program will assign a staff person to process the required forms to request VA funding.

– The amount of money paid to eligible veterans will vary, depending on the type of GI Bill that they have and the type of program in which they are participating. If veterans have remaining GI Bill eligibility, they should ask the program director or university VA office for details on applying for benefits. See the attachment for additional information.